Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Question: How should I deal with my car accident settlement and repayment of Medicare?
Question Detail: I recently came to a settlement in a personal injury case (no-fault car accident). My Medicare benefits paid 2 out of my 3 medical bills related to the claim. I know that I have to pay the 3rd bill in full but I don't know what needs to be paid out of the settlement with regards to the other 2 bills. Do I repay Medicare for the amount that they paid to the doctors (80% of their approved amount) or do I have to notify Medicare and pay the doctors' bills in full (what would have been due without Medicare minus the 20% Medicare approved amount I already paid)? There are no Medicare liens (as far as I know and I think I would know if there were). I just don't want to jeopardize my future benefits by handling this wrong.


Answer:  You definitely need an experienced attorney to sort this out.  You should gather all the medical bills paid by Medicare.  That is the starting point.  Depending on the size of the settlement, you may owe very little now or in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment