Friday, December 7, 2012

Can A cheapskate sue the storeclerk that outed him?

Question: Can I file a suit against a store that reveals people's shopping experience with a person who walks off the streets?  I shopped at a local retailer, on my own personal time and money. I had a dispute about the price of an item six months ago. This was a private matter. It was resolved six months ago and I don't understand why this person would tell my boss about my personal shopping experience. This cross barriers due to privacy issues and I think the company should be sued for allowing their employees to release personal shopping experiences with individuals whom just walk in off of the streets. I was embarrassed. I felt violated by confidentiality laws, humiliated. I need to file a gag order against the clerk, ethics laws were violated, consumer protection of personal information just the whole nine yards. This was wrong on so many levels etc. I am upset, very upset and I want to teach this company a lesson on consumer privacy and ethics.



ANSWER:  Without knowing what the "private matter" was, I can't be definite.  Assuming you could talk about it in a courtroom, it wouldn't matter.  You did not have a reasonable expectation of privacy regarding your communications with a store or one of its clerks.  There is no legally recognized customer-clerk confidential relationship, like with a priest or lawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment